Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Hearing About Pearl Harbor

Contributed by Cassie Mojica
My Grandma’s Life in the Philippines at the start of World War II
           
   
      World War II was the global war that was under way by 1939 and ended in 1945. It involved a

vast majority of the world's nations—including all of the great powers. There was the Holocaust and

the use of nuclear weapons. Japan was already at war with China, and was moving on over to gain
more power. Germany invaded Poland, officially starting the war, 1939. On December 8, 1941, The

United States declared war on Japan, the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor. December 7, Japan

bombed on Pearl Harbor, a U.S. Naval Base off the coast of Hawaii. When the U.S. entered the war,

Japanese troops moved into the Philippines, French Indochina (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia), and

British Singapore.
       On the day of the Pearl Harbor attack, at about 8 a.m., Japanese planes filled the sky. Bombs and bullets rained onto the vessels moored below. A 1,800-pound bomb smashed through the deck of the battleship USS Arizona. The ship exploded and sank, hurting more than 1,000 men trapped inside. Next, torpedoes pierced the shell of the battleship USS Oklahoma. Then, The Oklahoma lost balance, rolled onto the side, and slipped underwater with 400 sailors aboard. By the time the attack was over, every battleship in Pearl Harbor–USS Arizona, USS Oklahoma, USS California, USS West Virginia, USS Utah, USS Maryland, USS Pennsylvania, USS Tennessee and USS Nevada–had sustained significant damage. The U.S. entered the war and sought revenge on Japan.
 
Interview:
Below is an interview of Eledia Rosanes. She was 8 years old at the start of WWII.

 Before we start, what can you tell me about yourself?
My name is Elpedia Rosanes. I have four children: one boy and three girls. I immigrated to the United States on April 8, 1984. I lived in New York for over 20 years, where I worked in Barnabas hospital for a few years. Presently, I reside in New Jersey.
  • What do you remember about the start of World War II?
December 8, 1941. I was 8 years old in the house, in Naic, Cavite, playing with my mother and three of my siblings. I was enjoying my day off with my family, including my father who was the school supervisor at the time, because it was the holy day of the Immaculate Conception.
  • How did you hear about the war?
The first time I heard about the start of the war was on the news over the radio. My father tried to explain it to me, but all I knew was that there was a bombing and my family would have to move to Alfonso, Cavite, until the country was at peace again.
  • What was your reaction? Did you understand what was going on, being at a young age?
I was 8; I didn’t understand the significance of the event. I knew that war was bad; I didn’t know what that meant for me. Once my father explained it to me, I understood that the Japanese wanted to invade our country, and starting from the Pearl Harbor bombing, they were already making their way. However, I was reassured that we were safe with the US troops. Another thing that I remember is that I had a month off from school. I kind of liked that period, of course, because I was young. But my mom was off from work taking care of the family and my father was called to work with the forces.
  • After moving to Alfonso, was life different as the war continued?
Yes, my father joined the guerrilla movement to prevent Japanese troops from entering the city. He was a Major and worked at different posts throughout Alfonso. I do recall that it was a good moment when my father explained to my siblings and I that MacArthur returned for us. Through the radio, the memorable words “I shall return” played on, because, sure enough, he did return.

We, my family and I, were very grateful that throughout the war, there were many men that helped let peace and order prevail in our country. To this day, I am thankful that my home country was prosperous again.

For more information about WWII in the Pacifici, see the following resources:
"Holocaust History." World War II: Timeline. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013.
"The Pacific War 1941-43." The Pacific War 1941-43. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013.
"Pearl Harbor." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013.s
"World War II." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013.
"World War II - The Atlantic." The Atlantic. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment