Friday, April 5, 2013

My Aunt's Immigration & Citizenship

Contributed by Nick Rhein


Colombian American Citizen



The United States has cracked down on immigration in the past on numbers with the Emergency Quota Act and the Immigration Act. Today we face the issue of illegal immigrants that cross the borders to reap the benefits of our capitalist economy without the tedious process of immigration. There are many ways to enter the country legally however be it through family members, for work purposes, refugees from dangerous countries, and a few other less common. My aunt was able to come into the country when she married my Uncle Jerry, who already was an American citizen. The normally waiting time is five years after a visa is acquired, but for my aunt, she only had to wait three for being the spouse of a citizen. She paid to take tests in US history and English which are required for the application. If applicants pass and show good behavior and respect for the law, they are American citizens, just like my aunt.

Interview:

Below is an interview of my Aunt, who talks about her immigration journey to become a citizen of the United States.

Q. What town were you born in and where do you live?I was born in Barranquilla (Atlantico) Colombia. I did live the most part in Barranquilla, but I also lived in Bogota.
Q. How did you meet Uncle Jerry?Uncle Jerry went to visit Barranquilla, and I met him in my friend's office.
Q. When and where?January 28,2006 in Barranquilla.
Q. When and where did you get married?We got married November 1, 2006 in Santa Marta's Catholic Church (La iglesia Santa Marta), en Barranquilla.
Q. How long did the process take to get a visa?We start the process in April and I got the visa in October. (2006)
Q. When did you move to the United States?I came to US on November 2, 2006.
Q. Did you ever come the the US prior?No.
Q. Did you ever have a desire to visit?I never thought about to live in a different country than mine. But always knew if I need to moved I'll be ok with it.
Q. What did you have to do to gain US citizenship?Past a test. Actually I need to complete 3 years living here with a green card before I could apply to be a Citizen.
Q. How long did that process take?About four months.
Q. Do you think the process of immigration and citizenship reasonable?Yes. The test is a little extreme because I needed to learn a lot about History and Geography. I read that an average  national citizen is not  able to answer most of the questions on the test. I studied a book with 100 questions, additional to that I need to be able to read, write, speak, and understand basic English.

Q. Did you have any obstacles?
No. But the biggest challenge was and still  is my accent. (hahahah).

Q. DId you have a grasp for English prior to this process?
I took English classes in College, (I knew some English). I was able to write some words and able to understand some reading. But I was not able to pronounced the words.
Q. Are there restrictions to new citizens or not?No.
Q. Were you able to vote in the presidential election?Yes. and I did.
Q. Are you proud to say that you are an American?I can say yes, I'm proud to be a person to show respect to the customs and laws in the place I live.
Q. Do you consider yourself a Colombian, American, or both?I'm an American by citizenship, a Colombian by heart.
My country (Colombia) recognizes dual-citizen perhaps I'm legally both Colombian and American.





For more information on immigration to the United States, see:

 "Todays Immigration." Yahoo News. Yahoo, 2011. Web. 12 Feb. 2013. <http://news.yahoo.com/immigrant-population-record-40-million-2010-100108933.html>.

Starkweather, Sarah. "U.S. Immigration Legislation." U.S. Immigration Legislation. University of Washington-Bothell, n.d. Web. 13 Feb. 2013. http://library.uwb.edu/guides/usimmigration/USimmigrationlegislation.html

.

"How the United States Immigration System Works: A Fact Sheet." Immigration Policy Center. N.p., 4 Nov. 2010. Web. 13 Feb. 2013. <
http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/how-united-states-immigration-system-works-fact-sheet>.

No comments:

Post a Comment