Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Assassination of President JFK


Contributed by Catherine Coughlan
 
JFK’s Assassination
             John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the 35th president of the United States was assassinated on Friday, November 22, 1963 in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas. He was shot while in the car with his wife Jacqueline and the governor of Texas John Connally with his wife Neille. They were riding in the presidential motorcade. They were taking a route that would give the President the most exposure to the Dallas crowds before his departure.  The President was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald. The biggest controversy is whether Oswald worked alone or with a group of people.

            Oswald used a 6.5 X 52 mm Italian Carcano M91/38 bolt-action sniper rifle to kill the president. The rifle was purchased the previous March under the name of “A. Hidell.” The President was sniped in the head. He was rushed to the emergency room and the staff at Parkland Hospital’s Trauma Room treated the President. In the hospital, his condition was a “moribund” which means that he had no chance of survival upon arriving at the hospital. Dr. George Burkley signed President Kennedy’s death certificate. 

Interview:
 
The Depressing Day of President JFK's Assassination 
Interview of Joanne Johnson (my aunt)

Where were you born?
Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, NY
Where did you go to elementary school?
Saint Anselm, Brooklyn, NY

Where did you go to high school?
Bishop Carney, Brooklyn, NY


Where did you go to nursing school?
Hunter College Bellevue School of Nursing


How old were you on the day of the assassination?
6 years old


Where were you when the assassination happened? 
In school, but they let us out early. I believe I was in the first grade.


What did you do when they dismissed you from school?
I walked home to the apartment with the other kids who lived on our block. The big kids would walk us younger kids home to make sure we got home safely. I walked home with my friend and my cousin.


What happened when you got home?
I remember when I came home that my mother was crying and she made me sit down with my siblings and watch the tv. It was all over the news. We continued to watch program after program.


How did you hear about the assassination?
The teacher dismissed us from school saying for us to go straight home. We were told that the president was killed.


Did the teachers give any details about the assassination and what had happened?
No they only told us the president was dead.


What were your feelings when you heard the assassination happened?
I was shocked but couldn't really grasp my head around the fact.


Where were your siblings when the assassination happened?
My brothers Eddie and Jimmy and my sister Celie were all home with my mother.  

Where were your parents when the assassination happened?
My father was at work, and did not leave work earlier and was not home when I left school early. He came home at the same time her normally does. My mother was home with the baby.  



What were your parents’ reactions about the death of the president?
My parents were very upset. I remember my aunt coming over, since they lived the apartment right above us, so my aunt came over and her and my mother just cried while watching the TV. My mother just kept saying “what a tragedy”.


Does one emotion or event stand out this day or the days after? 
I remember that everyone was crying and everyone was shocked. It was a sad day. 

Did you go to school the day after the assassination?
I believe so. I don't think we had the day off. I know my father went to work and my mother stayed home the day after the assassination.  






For more information on the JFK Assassination, see:

Kennedy, John F. Television in American Society Reference Library. Ed. Laurie Collier Hillstrom and Allison McNeill. Vol. 3: Primary Sources. Detroit: UXL, 2007. p65-76. Word Count: 2005.

Kennedy, John Fitzgerald. West's Encyclopedia of American Law. Ed. Shirelle Phelps and Jeffrey Lehman. Vol. 6. 2nd ed. Detroit: Gale, 2005. p120-122. Word Count: 1508.

Kennedy Assassination. Thurston Domina. St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture. Ed. Sara Pendergast and Tom Pendergast. Vol. 3. Detroit: St. James Press, 2000. p16-17. Word Count: 902.

Kennedy Assassination. World of Forensic Science. Ed. K. Lee Lerner and Brenda Wilmoth Lerner. Vol. 1. Detroit: Gale,2005. p399-401. Word Count: 1754

No comments:

Post a Comment