Wednesday, April 3, 2013

May I Please See Your Visa?

Contributed by Hetal Patel

INDIA

From India to America

 
Immigration to the United States of America has been around ever since this country was discovered in 1492. But at that time, the procedure to enter the country wasn't as involved and complicated as it is now. Immigration policies have also changed over the course of the years. Last year, in August, the president issued a policy for immigrants to apply for work permits and deportation deferral for a two-year period. Opponents of immigration see this as granting a sort of “backdoor” to people who come to America illegally and tightening the already poor job market for young Americans who would like to prosper.
            Illegal immigrants aren't the only types of immigrants. Although the process is lengthy and can be somewhat of an irritant (some people have to wait for years in order to come to America legally), there are people that wait to enter the country legally, with a visa and all the proper documents needed. After entering the country legally, the immigrant would be issued a green card. That green card is the ticket to citizenship in the United States. As time is going on, it is becoming harder and harder for immigrants to enter the country. That tempts illegal immigration. True and honest people wait until it is their rightful time to come. Proper immigration is an important process that many people wait for, and many people don’t.

Interview

Immigration to the United States has been popular ever since the discovery of the New World. My dad, Jayesh Patel (50 years old), and mom, Mandakini Patel (41 years old) immigrated to the United States of America to start a new life. Upon interviewing them, I realized how a new country can change lives.


1.  What month/year did you apply for a visa to enter the United States of America?

Jayesh: 1988. That was when I applied for a visa to come to the U.S.
Mandakini: I applied for it in February of 1992. After your dad and I got married, he had to sponsor me in order for me to get a visa faster.


2.  What month/year did you enter the United States of America?

Jayesh: I strictly remember my plane landing on August 29, 1990. It took almost 2 years for the visa to get approved because of the massive amount of people entering the U.S.
Mandakini: I landed on July 7, 1995. It took me even longer because by that time, there were even more people leaving their native countries and coming to America.

3.  What was your main reason for leaving your native country (India) and coming to the United States of America?

Jayesh: Back in our time, there were so many bright opportunities and a chance of a better future for a family. My brother was here before me, and the way he described America made me long to come here.
Mandakini: Besides the fact that there were many opportunities for a different and better lifestyle, my husband was living there. I wasn't going to live my life separated from him by countless countries and an ocean. Coming to America was also my dream ever since I was little.

4.  What was the immigration process like? Did it include tedious questions, or were you wait-listed due to any reason? If so, what reason(s)?

Jayesh: I was nervous but happy at the same time. I was looking forward to new experiences. The immigration officer took me into a cabin, and asked me a few basic questions and took a picture of me for the files.
Mandakini: I wasn't nervous at all regarding what questions I might get asked. I was just really anxious to get out of there.

5.  Can you identify and differences that struck you as amazing or surprised you in the new country?

Jayesh: The culture and traditions here were so different than what I was used to. When walking in New York City with my brother for the first time, I saw how people acted and walked and greeted each other. It was completely informal and… comfortable I would say. Nothing was too formal and it felt relaxed.
Mandakini: The technology really struck me as amazing, something I've never seen before. The basic living standard was much higher than what I was used to. I was amazed at how advanced everything was. Up until then I had only heard about the wonders of America, but when I got here, I got to experience them firsthand.

6.  How can you explain the citizenship exam? Please provide details that you remember.

Jayesh: I took the exam in 2002, up until then I had a government issued green card. The exam was nothing I wasn't expecting; I wasn't surprised or taken back by any of the questions. I knew that I wanted to stay here permanently, so I made sure to know all the facts about the country. I was a little nervous, though, that I would mess up and a silly mistake would cost me. Thankfully, I passed.
Mandakini: I’m not the nervous type, but when asked the different questions about the country and how it runs, my mind went blank for a little bit. That’s when I started getting nervous, because I knew that I know the information. After calming myself down, I remembered everything and passed.

7.   How did you adjust to a whole new culture and language that you weren't used to?
 
Jayesh: Adjusting to this country was one of the most difficult things I ever did. It was tough to explain myself and understand others when I had very limited and minimal knowledge of English. Somehow, I managed. My family pushed me to do nothing but my best, and today, here I am telling you about my experience.
Mandakini: It was challenging to get used to how things work here. I was still fairly young when I came (23 exactly) so I had the tendency of trying to learn as much as I could. I agree about speaking and understanding, because accents are still an issue up until this day.

8.  What was your biggest challenge when you first came to the United States of America?

Jayesh: Getting control over the English language was definitely the biggest challenge for me. Even today, there are some words that I've never heard of, or words that I don’t know the meaning to.
Mandakini: Control and confidence on language was difficult for me too.

9.  Are you happy that you made the decision of coming here? Do you have any regrets?

Jayesh: My only regret is that I miss India very much. Every country had advantages and disadvantages, so I wouldn't say that I have any actual regrets.
Mandakini: There are some instances when I miss India because a situation would have been much simpler there, or I would think of the fun times I had with my family and friends.

10.  Were there any incidents that occurred during the immigration process that you would like to share? Is there a certain memory that has been stuck with you ever since that you cannot forget?

Jayesh: During the visa application interview in Mumbai, I was asked to provide proof that I have a family member living in America that will petition me. I had to wait about 2 weeks before my brother and mom could send over a letter of proof that my brother is a citizen of the United States.
Mandakini: I was supposed to leave India in the end of June, but the immigration office told me that the quota for the month was full, and that I would have to wait another week until I can leave the country and come here. It was such a hassle to change the date of the plane ticket and reimburse the money.

11.  Who was the president at the time of your arrival? What are some major differences that you noticed over the years from the time that you came to the country until now?

Jayesh: George H. W. Bush was president at the time of my arrival. Like I said before, there were many more job opportunities because the economy was doing much better than it is now. An example is that I went for a job interview, and right after the interview, they asked me to join the next day. In today’s time, it is difficult to even get an interview let alone a job.
Mandakini: Bill Clinton was president when I came. The economy was very good. College was much more different than it is now.  I had to take night classes because of my work schedule and family responsibilities, and there were many people that took night classes. I’m not sure of night classes are still popular today, but the professors were really tough, which I’m sure hasn't changed from then till now.

12.  How would you suggest the immigration process be made easier/more convenient?

Jayesh: I feel that so much paperwork is such a hassle, but it for the safety of everyone so it is a necessary action that needs to be taken anytime a person enters our country.
Mandakini: After 9/11, entering this country and gaining citizenship has gotten harder. Before that, it was pretty simple to come into America and live here. 
 
For more information on immigration, see:
Basu, Moni. "Five Things to Know about the Big Change in Immigration Policy." CNN. Cable News Network, 01 Jan. 1970. Web. 13 Feb. 2013. http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/15/us/immigration-change-five-things.
"Immigrants Find Legal Paths to U.S. Long, Difficult." USATODAY.COM. N.p., 24 Oct. 2011. Web. 13 Feb. 2013. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-24/legal-immigration-usa/50895150/1.
Gabaccia, Donna R. "Migration Information Source - Today's Immigration Policy Debates: Do We Need a Little History?" The Migration Information Source. N.p., Nov. 2006. Web. 13 Feb. 2013. http://www.migrationinformation.org/Feature/display.cfm?ID=488.
"Open Collections Program: Immigration to the US - , 1789-1930." Open Collections Program: Immigration to the US - , 1789-1930. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Feb. 2013. http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu/immigration/.
Werner, Erica. "Senators Take up Immigration in First Hearing." US News. U.S.News & World Report, 13 Feb. 2013. Web. 13 Feb. 2013. http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2013/02/13/senators-take-up-immigration-in-first-hearing.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Hetal, your interview was very good. I was very touched by your parents’ story about coming to the United States. It was interesting to hear what the United States is like to someone who didn’t live here before in modern day. I was fascinated by the fact that they were not used to the technology. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hetal, the interview you created with your parents was very interesting. The difficulty to adjust with the language change was also one of my parent’s difficulties when they arrived in the United States as well. I can tell both your parents had some difficulty to come to the United States. I understand your mother's regret for leaving India because like her my dad also misses his homeland, Brazil, very much but like your mother he understands that his life wouldn't have been as good if he did not leave Brazil. Your interview was very relatable and I’m glad your parents arrived safely and adapted quickly to the different culture and language in the United States.

    ReplyDelete