Friday, April 5, 2013

My Grandfather's Journey from Italy

Contributed by Gabriella Guardascione

      
 
During 1935, in Italy, money was scarce.  Most Italians came to America due to the opportunity that was given to them.  They wanted to earn enough money to go back to Italy and buy land.  They tried to recreate the life they had in Italy while in America.  Most of the people that came were men and unskilled peasants.  Most of them were also Catholic.  Italians tried to open up pasta shops, restaurants, and pizzerias.  Because of prejudice against the Italians, their opportunities were limited.  Immigration was decreased due to the Immigration Act of 1924.  The law was against immigrants from eastern and southern Europe.  When Italians returned to America from fighting in WWII, they were accepted into America society.  By them, most Italians decided to move to Australia or Argentina.

Interview:

My Grandfather, Porfirio Costagliola, came to the United States with his parents for the opportunity to change their lives.  In interviewing him, I discovered what I had not known before.

What made you immigrate to the United States from Italy?
Porfirio: I came here because my father brought us to America.  I went back and forth to Italy and America a few times.  We wanted a better life.

What was going on in Italy during that time period?
Porfirio: The first time we came, in 1935, I don’t remember much.  Italy wasn’t in a bad spot because it was before the war.  The second time we came was in 1947.  We barely had any money to go to the United States.  There was nothing to eat, since it was after the war.

How was life in the United States different from Italy?
Porfirio: In America, it was so much nicer.  The streets were bigger, the people were nicer, and there were more jobs and more money than Italy had.  I hated America though because I missed Italy and my friends.   I had nothing over here and for two years I would cry because of it.  Eventually after going to night school to learn English for four nights a week, I became much more comfortable in society and made friends.

What do you remember doing to help your family?
Porfirio: The first time in America I couldn’t do much because I was too young.  As I got older in Italy, before we left again, I would work on my family’s land helping to plant fruits and vegetables.   At 17 years old, in America, I worked at a Grocery Store as a stock boy.  I often delivered to places like Wall Street and made $28-29 a week, which was different than what I was used to in Italy.  I remember how nice and different the big buildings were compared to Italy.  Then I worked in CBS assembling factory, making televisions.  One day a friend of mine at the Italian club offered me a job as a Longshoreman.  I would watch more people immigrate to the United States and it often reminded me of my time on the ship.   

How did you immigrate here?
Porfirio: My family and I came on a ship called The Rex or in Italian known as the SS Conte di Savoia.

 How was the trip?
Porfirio: I loved the trip.  It was a new, great experience.  It had great food and people.  We even used to play cards at night, bonding over the fact we would be coming into this new country.

How long did it take?
Porfirio: It took seven days to get to the United States.   

Who came to the United States with you?
Porfirio: My entire family came to the United States the first time around.  The second time, my stepmom died, and my father sent my sister, my brother, and I alone to the United States. He wasn’t able to communicate with us because of Italy’s bad relationship with America, but eventually got through.     

For more information on the immigration of Italians to America, see:
"Italian Life in New York." Immigration and Multiculturalism: Essential Primary Sources. Ed. K. Lee Lerner, Brenda Wilmoth Lerner, and Adrienne Wilmoth Lerner. Detroit: Gale, 2006. 76-78. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 14 Feb. 2013.

"99.03.06: The Italian Immigrant Experience in America (1870-1920)." 99.03.06: The Italian Immigrant Experience in America (1870-1920). N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2013.
"From Europe to America: Immigration Through Family Tales." History of Italian Immigration. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2013.
 
McMillian, Peter. "Spartacus Educational." Spartacus Educational. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2013.
"Immigration: The Italians." ThinkQuest. Oracle Foundation, n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2013.

1 comment:

  1. Gab, I love your interview. It reminds me of the story that my grandma told me about her father's journey from Italy. It is crazy to imagine that your grandfather was sent to this country with only his brother and sister.

    ReplyDelete