Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Story of the Haitian Diaspora


Contributed by Brandon Stephen
 
The Story of the Haitian Diaspora through the Eyes of my Uncle Manuel Laura
 

 

Throughout the 1970s through 1990s, large groups of Haitians migrated towards the United States.  They came with the hope of a better future and to escape the economic hardships that they were currently facing.   Causes of this huge group migrating can also include the current environmental crisis and the years of persistent persecution.

Interview:

Below is an interview of my Uncle Manuel Laura, who immigrated to Haiti when he was just 8 years old.   


How did it feel being the first and only one from the family traveling to a new land? 
It was a different experience than what I was used to. I always love to travel so I definitely thought this was an adventure for me. 

What were your priorities after moving to America? My priorities were getting an education and supporting myself financially. 
I wanted to do so because I needed to bring the rest of my family to America. 

How much money did you come with and how did you financially support yourself when you first moved? 
I came to America when I was only eight years old. I also came with my godmother. 

How was the transition moving from Haiti into America? How quickly do you think you acclimated into your new home? 
Well, I think I was forced to acclimate very quickly. Since I came over at such a young age, I didn't get the opportunity to learn English in Haiti. I was bullied and forced to overcome the challenge of learning a new language. I learned English in about six months and I think it helped me to become successful. 

What were some of your favorite activities that you missed from Haiti? 
Some activities in Haiti that I really missed included playing marbles, playing in the rain and being with my friends. Being away from my family for such a long period of time was very stressful as well and I missed them. 

Do you feel that America was really the land of opportunity? 
Yes, I do. 

What were some things you were able to do in America that you could not do in Haiti? 
As I grew up, I was able to get a good education, which was the most important thing I could do in America that I couldn’t do in Haiti. I also was able to make a lot more money in America. 

If you could go back to visit, would you? 
I would probably go back to visit where I spent my childhood. My old home and school probably have nostalgic memories attached to them. I would also like to see what survived after the earthquake in 2010. 

Why did you join the Navy after coming to America? 
I still had the passion of traveling and believed the Navy good help me do just that. I wanted to do something different and joined the military. 

Do you feel that the Navy helped further your goals? 
Yes, I was able to travel a lot in the Navy, which I enjoyed. I also learned a lot of technical skills that would later prove to help me in my career after the military. I also finished my schooling with the help of the Navy and find work. 

Would you choose the same path if you could do it all over again? 
I wouldn't say no, but looking back, I have a lot more knowledge and would have been even better off in life. Overall I think I did well, and wouldn’t change anything if I could go back in time.

For more information on Haiti, see:

"Haitian Diaspora Federation." Haitian Diaspora Federation. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. http://www.myhdf.org/the-Haitian-Diaspora.htm.

"Migration Information Source - Haitian Immigrants in the United States." The Migration Information Source. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. http://www.migrationinformation.org/usfocus/display.cfm?id=770.

"Data Drop: People with Haitian Ancestry in the US by State." - Haiti Rewired. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. http://haitirewired.wired.com/profiles/blogs/people-with-haitian-ancestry.

"Haitian Diaspora." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_diaspora.

"Haiti - Migration." Haiti - Migration. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2013. http://countrystudies.us/haiti/22.htm.
 
______________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment