Thursday, April 4, 2013

Left Behind In Ecuador: An Immigration Story

Contributed by Gabrielle Pais
A Little History
      Cuenca is a small town located in the highlands of Ecuador. It is one of the many towns that people emigrate to in order to immigrate to the United States. In the U.S, Ecuadorians consist of the eighth-largest Latino group in the United States, according to the 2000 U.S census. Nearly 70% of these 600,000 Ecuadorians counted for live in New York City, and are undocumented workers. Why did so many immigrants come to America? Well, during the 1960’s and 70’s, small Ecuadorian groups began to enter the U.S on tourist and work visas. However, there were also many illegal immigrants as well. Most of these immigrants that successfully made it to the U.S planned to return to Ecuador after making enough money to bring back home. Unfortunately, the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 discussed the legality of these undocumented workers. Therefore, many immigrants here on visas, or illegally here, decided to obtain citizenship. Today, the number of Ecuadorian immigrants has skyrocketed because more and more Ecuadorian families send young men to work in the U.S, making it barley possible to afford the necessities of life. Actual statistics prove that between 1930 and 2008 the number of Ecuadorian immigrants has jumped by 99%. Although families tend to be split apart, Ecuadorians continuously turn to the U.S to make ends meet.
 
Left Behind in Ecuador: An Immigration Story

        This is an interview of my aunt, Any Ordonez, about her family's immigration story, in which she was left behind in Ecuador as a child while her mother immigrated to the United States.


Q1: Can you summarize your family’s immigration story?
A1: My family’s story revolves mainly around my mother’s immigration to the United States. She was 15 when she got pregnant with me and 17 when she had my brother. At age 19, she decided to come to the United States. Her and my aunt took this journey together, along with 3 or 4 other illegals aspiring to enter the U.S, leaving me behind in Ecuador. Their first stop was in Honduras in order to pay the person that would guide them across the border. I’m not sure how long she was there, but she stayed in Mexico, her second stop, for about 2 weeks in order to get a passport. Finally, they passed through a desert area and crossed the Paso River. On the other side of the river, their coyote, which was a name for people that passed illegals over the border, met them. From there, they entered Los Angeles and took trains all the way to New Jersey because my uncle was already living there.

Q2: How long did it take for your mother to enter America?
A2: It took 1 month in total for her to enter. Back then it was easier to cross the border then it is now.

Q3: Why do you think your mother left you in Ecuador to come to the U.S?
A3: Well, at the time I was only 5 years old so I didn't actually understand why, but around 8 years old I found out from family in Ecuador that she was married and had kids in America. Also, she was in debt from crossing the border that I guess it made it hard to come back for me.

Q4: Do you harbor any resentment towards her for this?
A4: Yes I do.

Q5: What was it like growing up without your mother?
A5: In Ecuador I was living with my grandparents and about 7 or 8 cousins. I always thought that “maybe God had plans for me.” Maybe I had to stay in Ecuador for a bit longer. Now that I am in America, I see differences between me and my brothers, who were born in America. My brothers may understand English much more than I do, but they don’t appreciate things like I do.

Q6: What was the most difficult obstacle you had to face without her?
A6: The hardest thing was facing the parent-teacher meetings at school. It was embarrassing because the other kids had moms and dads to take with them while I had to take my cousin.

Q7: When you met her years later, what was your first impression?
A7: I met her when I was 17 and was so happy to see her. Even though she felt like a stranger to me, I was happy because I knew she was my mom.

Q8: Was there anyone that provided a motherly role in your life before you met your biological mother?
A8: My grandmother. She was always hard on us kids, but was always there and would give us advice and help. She took care of the 8 of us without complaining, and that’s what I think is a great characteristic in a mother or mother-like figure.

Q9: If you could change you or your mother’s choices, what would you change?
A9: I would have her bring me with her. I have constantly wondered what my life would be like if she had brought me with her, and how I would have changed. Also, coming here at 17 was difficult. Everything was new to me and different.

Q10: If you could tell your mother anything without receiving criticism or judgment, what would you tell her?
A10: Well, I had to live with my stepfather and stepsister for a time, and since I wasn't biologically his, I was treated worse than her. She was the favorite and it made me feel less important. I had to go through this because my mother wasn't with me.

Any Ordonez with Her Mother
Any Ordonez




           






            



For more information on immigration from Ecuador, see:

        
"Immigrants to the United States." Immigrants to the United States. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2013.
"Ecuadorian Immigrants." Immigration Online. N.p., 12 Oct. 2011. Web. 20 Feb. 2013.
"Homeland Security." Immigration Statistics. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2013.
"Immigration and Citizenship | USA.gov." Immigration and Citizenship | USA.gov. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2013.
"Ecuador Immigration Office in Cuenca." Ecuador George. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2013.

1 comment:

  1. It really must have been so hard to live without her mother. She was lucky to have other family members to take care of her and support her, and she was lucky to finally meet her mother.

    ReplyDelete