Friday, April 5, 2013

Immigration from the Philippines

Contributed to Bernadette Leano

My Mom's Immigration from the Philippines


My mom comes from a big family in the Philippines. She was expected to be another politician in her family just like her grandfather and her aunt. She was expected to take care of those workers on her farm along with her 8 other siblings. Though this life sounds a bit glamorous, she wanted to live her own life - make a living for herself. She felt that the only way for her to do that was to seek out further education in the land of opportunity. 

Interview: 

Below is an interview of my mother about her immigration from the Philippines to the United States.

 
Bernadette: Hearing stories about your childhood and the cultures of the Philippines, how did you leave the comfort of your family?

Lizette: Well, I had been raised by my mother and my grandfather and they always taught me that you should always do what you have to do to succeed and get farther in life. So that is exactly what I did. My oldest sister, my younger sister, and I left the comforting barriers of our farm and we headed for America. Of course it was hard to leave behind, my family, my friends, my school, my home and, especially, my other brothers and sisters, but I wanted to make something of my life and I couldn't see it happening there.

Bernadette: Okay so when you got here, what happened next? Like what did you do? Was it what you wanted or hoped for?

Lizette: Upon getting here, my sisters and I all moved into a house and continued to attend college. I was majoring in engineering at the time. And to answer the second part, of course it was a little tough in the beginning because my sisters and I were not used to being on our own. As children, we had nannies that pretty much raised us in addition to our mom and grandfather. So yes, it was hard at first, but it all worked out in the end.

Bernadette: So do you think that immigrating to America was the best choice for your future?

Lizette: I would have to say yes because without me coming to America, my sisters and I wouldn't have bonded together as much and I wouldn't have been able to further my education as well as I did in an American college rather than one in the Philippines. I also learned that I would be able to support myself without my family’s money. I gained a sense of pride knowing that I could be able to do this all by myself.

Bernadette: Thanks so much for sharing. Is there anything you would like to say in closing?

Lizette: All I would like to say is that though I am from the Philippines, I have learned so much in America and am grateful to be able to be here today.

4 comments:

  1. Nice interview Bern! My mom also went through some of the same experiences your mom want through, like leaving behind her family. They also both came to America for better opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bern that's pretty cool but I was just wondering if your mom raised you or brought any Philippine traditions into her home in the US and if so, what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview Bern! I really liked the part in which your mother instilled a motto of doing what she had to to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that the backstory behind your mom's immigration to the U.S. was really interesting!! It must've been so different coming to the U.S. knowing nobody but two of her sisters, especially considering that she grew up with such a large family. Did she move to the U.S. and pursue her education later in her life or did she come straight out of high school?

    ReplyDelete